The West Overland EMS and Fire Protection District began operating in 1944 as a volunteer department and was known as the West Overland Volunteer Department. The district was officially incorporated in 1954 and its name changed to West Overland Fire Protection District after the citizens voted to set a tax base to support the fire district. On August 11, 1999 the name of the district was changed to West Overland EMS and Fire Protection District.
Property at Decker and Ashby was purchased and the first engine house was located at 2831 Ashby. The first paid personnel were hired, the first fire truck was a 1935 Chevrolet with an OCD pump mounted on it, and the first fire chief was Ralph Brown. George Zack served as the Fire Marshal from 1954 until his death in 1982. In 1982 the district had a staff of 18. Then in 1990 the district added two men to a full staff of 20. Other past fire chiefs in order were Elmer Studt, Walter Asher, James Mullins, Wally Dawson, Michael Marlo and Joseph Schmidt.
The district has 3 Board of Directors. Christine Corcoran, Debbie Dean and Bret Hicks. Past directors have been Oliver Geisel, William Deering, Melvin Moore, Marion Judge, Hillard Gordon, Robert McCallum, Robert Henry, Howard Barteau, Mary Masters, Dolores DiRie, Dan O'Connor, and Gary Newman.
The District is bordered by Ashby Road to the East, Lindbergh Boulevard to the West, St Charles Rock Road to the North and Gateway Boulevard to the south. The district protects approximately 6.5 square miles of central St. Louis County.
The first engine house was located at 2831 Ashby Road and was utilized until 1970. In 1970 the present building on Midland Boulevard was opened and in 2005, the building was remodeled to add a second floor.
The District began operating an ambulance service in 1974. All employees were Nationally Certified EMTs. In 1979, two employees Mike Marlo and Rick Adams attended the paramedic program at Christian Hospital. In 1980, Raymond Hake and Gerald Ambrosecchia attended the paramedic program at St. Louis University School of Medicine. The paramedic program was established on January 1, 1981.